Last Updated: May 21, 2022
1. Information We Collect
We may collect personally identifiable information about you that you provide to us when you use our Services such as your name and email address (“Personal Information”).
When you create an account with us, a verification email will be sent to the email address you used for registration to prove that you are the owner of the email address.
We may also automatically collect information about users of our Services through cookies (see Section 2 for more information) and other technologies. Some or all of this information may be collected by third-party software providers (as listed in Section 3) and some or all of this information may be collected by us and transferred to such third-party providers for further analysis. The collected information may include, but is not limited to, IP address and domain name; browser type and operating system; web pages viewed; links clicked; the length of time spent on our Services; and the referring URL, or the webpage that led a user to our Services. In addition, we may collect information about user activities within our Services, such as messages you send to other Site Members.
We also may ask you to provide additional information about yourself, including your age, hobbies, and interests in learning languages. You can choose not to provide this additional information to us. We also reserve the right to record, read, copy, disclose, and use (but not transmit to any third party) any text, speech, data, images, and other materials you transmit to us via non-public means for improving our Services. When you provide Personal Information through our Site, the information will be sent to our server via secure connection.
A cookie is a small text file that is stored on a user's computer for record-keeping purposes. Cookies can take the form of session cookies or persistent cookies. A session cookie expires when you close your browser and is used to make it easier for you to navigate our website. A persistent cookie remains on your hard drive for a specified period of time.
3. Third Party Tracking
4. Use of Your Information
We use your information, including Personal Information, as follows:
- Deliver the services and products that you have requested;
- Communicate with you about your use of our Services, including to send you Service updates;
- Manage your account and provide you with customer support;
- Comply with applicable legal or regulatory obligations;
- Analyze how users interact with our Services;
- Detect security incidents and protect against malicious or illegal activities;
- Debug to identify and repair errors that impair existing functionality;
- Manage our business; and
- Perform functions as otherwise described to you at the time of collection.
When you register for a user account on our Site, you are automatically enrolled into our communication newsletters that will notify you about any activity related to your account. You may opt out this newsletter at any time by clicking on the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of the email or by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our email newsletters contain tracking pixels to enable log file recording and analysis to help us track the success and failure of our marketing campaigns. Based on the tracking pixel, we may see if and when an email was opened by you and which links in the emails were clicked. We use the data collected to optimize the design and delivery of our newsletters to better serve our users.
5. Disclosure of Your Information
As a matter of policy, we do not sell or disclose any Personal Information about you to any third party except to provide you with products or services you have requested, when we have your permission, or under the circumstances listed below:
- With other users of our Services in order to provide our Services (but not your email address or password);
- In response to subpoenas, court orders, or legal process, from law enforcement agencies or state and federal regulators, or as otherwise required by law;
- To protect the rights, property, or safety of us or other persons, including to detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security, or technical issues, or anything else that we may consider to be, or pose a risk of being, an illegal, unethical, or legally actionable activity;
- As we deem appropriate to attempt to prevent physical or emotional harm to other persons and/or to their property based on overt or implied threat; and
- In connection with an actual or proposed corporate merger, acquisition, asset purchase, or other transaction or proceeding involving all or part of the business or assets to which the information pertains.
- We may also disclose aggregate, anonymous, or de-identified information about users for marketing, advertising, research, compliance, or other purposes.
6. Period of Retention of Personal Information
We shall process and store your Personal Data only for the period necessary to achieve the purpose of storage, or as far as permitted by the applicable law.
7. Accessing, Reviewing and Changing Your Profile
You can access, review, and change any of your personal profile information at any time from the My Profile Account and Settings pages.
8. User’s Rights to Personal Information
You have the following rights to your Personal Information:
- Right to be informed of how we are using your Personal Information;
- Right of access to know which of your Personal Information is held and processed by us;
- Right of having any of your inaccurate or incomplete Personal Information rectified;
- Right to erasure at any time for any reason (or for no reason);
- Right to restrict a certain type of processing of your Personal Information;
- Right to retain and reuse your Personal Information for other purposes;
- Right to object to how your Personal Information is used; and
- Right to limit the use of your Personal Information by automated decision making and profiling.
You may request deletion of your data at any time through the Delete Account function available. Your account will be deleted from our server along with all personally-identifiable information. You may also exercise this or any other of your above mentioned rights by contacting us at email@example.com.
Upon your notification, we will comply with your request as reasonably possible in accordance with our policy and applicable law. However, in some incidents, we may only comply by terminating your membership or otherwise restricting your access to our Site. Please note that we can only honor requests to opt out of disclosures on a going-forward basis and opt-out requests do not affect information that we have previously disclosed. We may also retain certain information about you as required by law or as permitted by law for legitimate business purposes.
9. Your Use of other Members’ Information
To safeguard the confidentiality of your Personal Information, we utilize sophisticated security techniques and procedures, including: daily security and vulnerability scans, software audits, firewalls, and data encryption (Secure Socket Layers). We make every effort to protect that data against loss and unauthorized access. We employ many different security techniques to protect such data from unauthorized access by others. We strive to comply with the GDPR as set forth by the European Union regarding the collection, use, and retention of personal data from European Union member countries and Switzerland. We certify that we adhere to the requirements of notice, choice, onward transfer, security, data integrity, access and enforcement. Despite our efforts, no data security measures can guarantee 100% security. In the event that Personal Information is compromised as breach of security, we will promptly notify you in compliance with applicable law.
You should take steps to protect against unauthorized access to your password, phone, and computer by, among other things, signing off after using a shared computer, choosing a strong password that cannot be easily guessed, and keeping your login name and password private. We are not responsible for any lost, stolen, or compromised passwords or for any activity on your account via unauthorized password activity.
11. Note about Children
Our Services are intended for children from 6 year old and above. If you are a parent, teacher, or school administrator, we encourage you to talk to your children about online safety and how they can protect themselves online. We also encourage you to check on your children's activities on our Site and report to us about suspicious messages using the built-in "Flag" feature.
13. Contact Us